How to pick a sex toy that’s right for you and your partner
Choosing a sex toy with your partner can be a form of foreplay in and of itself. Scrolling through catalogs, discussing what excites you both, can help build anticipation. But given the breadth of products available, it can also be tricky to find one that meets both your needs. Here are a few considerations to keep in mind when choosing a sex toy for couples.
- Discuss wants, needs, desires. Before introducing a sex toy into the bedroom, communicate what each of you hopes to get out of the experience. What sensations are you seeking? For example, are you looking for a vibrating device to incorporate into play, or something you can operate from a distance? Do you want something to enhance kink or power play? This can help narrow your options.
- Check product materials. Make sure the toy isn’t made of a material that might cause irritation or an allergic reaction for you or your partner. You’ll also want to see if the product is waterproof if you plan on taking it into the bath or shower.
- Consider any privacy needs. If there are others in your household and you want to keep things discreet, look for a toy that doesn’t produce much noise. And if you plan to travel with the toy, a smaller form might prove more suitable.
- Mind your budget. Prices can range dramatically for pleasure products. Those that are especially well made or that come with advanced features can easily run well over a hundred dollars. That said, there are plenty of great options for under $100.
Should you get a sex toy for couples?
That depends on your pleasure goals as well as the pleasure goals of your partner. And since every couple’s preference and goals are different, there is no simple answer to this question. Here are some general guidelines on who might consider one.
Who it’s best for: Couples who want to explore new avenues of pleasure, or couples who want to have fun, even when far apart.
Who it’s not best for: Those who primarily have fun solo, or couples who do not agree on bringing a pleasure product into the bedroom.
3 ways to enhnace playing with sex toys for couples
The beauty of sex toys designed for couples is they lend themselves well to exploration and adlibbing. Beyond adding your favorite lube (water-based lubricants are usually a safe bet as they are compatible with most sex toy materials), you can try adding a few other elements or pleasure products to further enhance your play.
1. Condoms for safer sex. If you plan on sharing pleasure products with a partner, it’s always important to clean sex toys between uses for safer sex. For an added layer of protection when using penetrative toys, like a dildo, or when practicing penetrative sex with a penis, use a condom. We recommend a Lelo Hex condom because of its unique hexagonal design that offers impressive durability while maintaining a secure grip on the penis or toy. This lets couples play as soft as hard as they like without worrying about breakage or other accidents.
2. Sex furniture for versatility and comfort. A few additions to your play space can open a range of new possibilities. Consider a sex pillow like the Liberator Wedge, which can help you try and maintain new sex positions comfortably while using another sex toy for couples, like a harness and strap on for pegging. The Liberator offers a strong firmness without sacrificing portability and comfort.
3. Massage oils for sensual play. Massage oil is a simple and sensuous addition to your play space. An oil made with essential oils, like Kama Sutra’s Aromatic Serenity, can help further relax and moisturize you or your partner.
The bottom line
Sex toys for couples come in all shapes and sizes, and there’s something out there for everyone. If the products on this page aren’t what you’re looking for though, check out our catalog to browse more options.