If it were up to us, here's our top 3 vibrators.
Dildos fall into various subcategories and if you aren’t sure what you’re after, it can be helpful to start by narrowing the choices. Consider a few scenarios to get started on making a choice.
1. Consider your sexual pleasure and/or wellness goals. Think about whether you want to discover new ways to stimulate yourself or a partner, to expand the positions in your repertoire, to challenge yourself safely, or to overcome sexual roadblocks. For example, if you have a penis and experience erectile dysfunction, your goal might be to enhance pleasure with a partner by incorporating a classic dildo or a strap-on.
2. Determine the type of stimulation you want. Depending on the design, dildos can be used vaginally, anally, or both. They can also offer different sensations based on their hardness, weight, texture, and mechanical movements, if motor-powered. If you are seeking a G-spot orgasm, for example, consider limiting your search within the G-spot dildo category. If you want vibration, then you know to look within the vibrator dildo category.
3. Consider if you’re interested in partner or solo play. Some dildos can be used either with a partner or solo, while others, such as strap-ons, are designed to wear while penetrating another person. Strap-on dildos can be especially useful for non-binary people seeking a gender-affirming pleasure product, cis women interested in pegging (penetrating a cis man anally), adults in lesbian or queer relationships, or penis owners with erectile dysfunction.
4. Seek a dildo that matches your experience level: beginner, intermediate, or advanced. Not all dildos are created equal, with flexible, smaller options better suited to beginners. Longer, girthier, heavier, or harder dildos generally become easier to use with experience.
Different needs and wants call for different dildo options, and O shop has nine subcategories from which to choose. Explore the nine dildo types available on O shop to get a better idea of what might work best for you.
Classic dildos have a cylindrical shaft and range from non-phallic to realistic.
Featuring a longer shaft, each end of these dildos can be inserted into an orifice and used by an individual or two people.
A curved shaft and bulbous head help these dildos to target the G-spot about two to three inches inside the front wall of the vagina.
These are usually made from borosilicate glass and are ideal for temperature play because they can be warmed or cooled in water.
As true to life as they come, these are designed to resemble an erect human penis in terms of look, size, skin tone variety, and feel.
These generally provide a fuller sensation due to their heaviness and can be used in temperature play.
The dildo is usually attached to straps or special garments so it can be worn over the pelvis and penetrate a partner. It can be solid, or hollow (worn as a sleeve over a penis, making it ideal for working through erectile dysfunction), or strapless (with a smaller shaft the wearer inserts in their own vagina).
These can be used with strap-ons to help secure a dildo over the pelvis. The harness can be confined to the lower body or extend over the shoulders for extra support. These can be ideal for lesbian or queer couples wanting to explore this type of sensation, or for folks seeking a gender-affirming product they can feel is an extension of themselves.
At least one motor is incorporated into the dildo so it can deliver vibrating sensations for added stimulation.
Most dildos share some common features, but there are a few key things to look out for when choosing the right dildo for your needs. Some of these key things include:
All dildos have an insertable shaft, however, some boast additional features to take your pleasure to the next level. If a dildo has one of these bonus features, it might help push it over the edge for you.
Dildos do not have to be used as a standalone product. In fact, pairing your dildo with other pleasure offerings can enhance and diversify your sessions.
Keeping your dildo clean will help keep your body safe and mitigate risk of spreading STIs, either from either the dildo or inadequate cleaning (2,3). In general, dildos can be cleaned by spraying with adult product cleaner then rinsing off after a minute or so. Waterproof dildos can also be cleaned with mild soap and warm water. Always check the product packaging for manufacturer’s cleaning instructions.
After cleaning, let your dildo air dry, or pat down with a clean, lint-free dry cloth and store in a cool, dark, safe place without direct contact with other toys.
1. My partner will feel threatened by my dildo.
Dildos are not a replacement for human relationships and all the physical and emotional experiences they entail. They can, however, add to shared experiences when discussed or enjoyed with a partner to increase understanding, intimacy, and connection. If you are worried about your partner being threatened by a dildo, it can help to communicate why you want a dildo, and how you’d like to incorporate it in your relationship.(4).
2. I’ll get addicted to my dildo.
While a person can start relying on a dildo for stimulation, not using it is unlikely to lead to the withdrawal symptoms of addiction. Indeed, the use of pleasure products is not an addictive disorder in the worldwide handbook, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) (5).
3. Dildos are dongs.
Although the terms are often used interchangeably, dildos and dongs are not the same type of pleasure product. Dongs comprise a shaft only whereas dildos have a base, which could be a suction cup, handle or pair of testicles, for example.
When choosing your dildo, opt for one that resonates with you and where you’re at in your sexual journey. If you feel that a dildo isn’t right for you, browse another category of pleasure product to find something that suits your current needs better. For example, consider exploring O shop’s catalog of vibrators, especially if you prefer external stimulation or to combine that with outer pleasure.
Join our mission for inclusive, accessible, and shame-free sexual education and pleasure. Shop our curated selection of sex toys and resources today.