Whether you’re new to using butt plugs or a seasoned pro, finding the best butt plug on the market can be a challenge. Our experts are here to narrow the options. To find the best butt plugs, our experts spend thousands of hours getting to know all the pleasure products out there. We then curate, rate, and review butt plugs against a stringent set of criteria. From price to size to weight to material and more, we consider a variety of factors to choose products we consider “best” in a category and those win a spot on our list. Every body is different, and this list takes into account that pleasure is experienced in different ways.
1. Editor’s pick
Why we chose it: We chose the B-Vibe Anal Training & Education Set as our overall favorite butt plug, or, in this case, butt plugs. This education set is perfect for those easing into anal play and those who are trying a bit of anal training to potentially graduate to larger butt plugs. In this 7-piece set, you can start with the smallest silicone butt plug, and then gradually move up to the largest weighted one in the set. Plus, read up on how-tos in the included educational materials (sex educator approved!), and take advantage of accessories like the lubricant applicator and anal enema to make your life a little easier.
2. Best weighted butt plug
Why we chose it: With a whole quarter pound of satisfaction, the Snug Plug 2 has a flared handle designed to sit between your cheeks, offering full discretion no matter what you’re wearing. Two weighted balls in the body provide that sought-after feeling of fullness, while a variety of intensity levels and vibration settings offer plenty to experiment with.
3. Best butt plug for beginners
Why we chose it: Although it’s name is pretty telling, the B-Vibe Novice Plug set includes all the features to set you up for success. It’s a compact, ideal butt plug size for beginners, and has a seamless silicone body. The tapered tip is not only great for smooth insertion, but comes packed with a powerful motor and 15 versatile settings to give first-timers a thrill. As an added bonus, this kit comes with a handy guide for anal play, so you don’t have to feel intimidated on your first go.
4. Best vibrating butt plug
Why we chose it: Relish in the feeling of Lolli’s dynamic dual motor system for an experience that, according to the brand's product page, promises “unprecedented enjoyment.” With 12 unique modes plus knobs that increase in size and sensation as you insert, this anal toy from Satisfyer is the perfect one-of-a-kind shape to compliment the thrill ride of a strong vibrator.
5. Best butt plug for anal play pros
Why we chose it: The Nexus Revo Extreme is an amazing choice for anal enthusiasts looking for something to spice up an existing butt plug collection. With a whopping 34 settings to test and try, you won’t get bored of this toy easily. The Revo also advertises an extra wide shaft “for ultimate fulfillment.” With a girth like that, this toy can be a great upgrade for anyone experienced in anal play.
6. Best butt plug for couples
Why we chose it: The Petite Rimming Plug is a solid contender for a “Most Innovative Tech” category due to its special ability to mimic rimming when used to massage the anal entryway. However, we’re including it here as an excellent choice for couples since its powerful remote control can be used up to 30 feet away, making it a saucy add for discreet and long distance play. Let your partner control the vibrations while you wear the butt plug at home, or somewhere else a little more public.
7. Best butt plug under $50
Why we chose it: Even if you’re on the hunt for a butt plug that’s a bit more wallet-friendly, sometimes it only takes the basics to bring yourself over the edge. The Maude Cone’s classic shape and sleek body make it easy to slip in and enjoy. Then when you’re done, you’ll love that clean-up is easy and travel is discreet. It even comes with a natural canvas travel pouch made for storing Cone on-the-go.
8. Best butt plug to show off
Why we chose it: If owning a butt plug feels a little intimidating but you’re still invested in getting in on the anal fun, you might want something a little more glamorous. The adorable Blush Temptasia Ring offers just that. The gorgeous heart-shaped design is elevated by that golden gemstone, but this butt plug has great features as well as beauty. It’s great for beginners, easy to insert, and comfortable to wear over an extended time.
9. Best butt plug for comfortable, long wear
Why we chose it: This weighted butt plug may not be for beginners, but reviews tout its comfortable shape and soft silicone material, making it good to wear for longer periods of time (some say for hours), and comfortable to wear even when sitting or standing. This can be especially useful for those who like to wear butt plugs in public. The vibrations add an extra element of stimulation that can make this butt plug even more pleasurable to wear, whether you’re home or out and about.
10. Best glass butt plug
Why we chose it: Glass plugs combine the excitement of feelings you won’t find in any other anal toy with beautiful design aesthetics. Lean on Icicles No. 44 for endless, smooth fun and enjoy its ergonomic design creating the most comfortable butt plug experience. When cared for properly, you can count on No. 44 to last forever, even if you play rough. It’s easy to enhance your experience with temperature play if you’re using a glass plug. Try throwing the Icicles No. 44 in the fridge or warming it under some hot water before play.
11. Best metal butt plug
Why we chose it: Metal butt plugs, with their sturdy material and hard ridges, provide an intense experience pressing firmly against your sweet spots. The Excite! Extendo Plug will take it a step further, since its three screw rings provide extra stimulation and its exceptional length will reach all of your erogenous zones. Like a glass butt plug, you can also take advantage of the metal material to experiment with temperature play.
12. Best penis ring-butt plug hybrid
Why we chose it: Like the rest of the Snug Plug Collection from B-Vibe, you can expect a more intense feeling of fullness from this weighted toy. But the Snug & Tug goes beyond being your household butt plug - it includes a genital ring for enhanced stimulation. Luxuriate in longer erections while the plug massages your prostate for delayed orgasms.
13. Best butt plug for girth
Why we chose it: If extreme fullness is your goal, go the route of the Rimming Plug XL. It's touted as the first extra-large vibrating butt plug, and is designed to maximize on that decadent full feeling to produce orgasmic stimulation. The XL weighs in at 5.5 inches long and 2.2 inches wide. Seeing as the average butt plug is anywhere from 1.25-1.5 inches around, you can count on a high-intensity experience from this toy. (Keep in mind that if you’re newer to anal play, you may have to work your way up to butt plugs of this size with a smaller plug or an anal trainer.)
14. Best for texture
Why we chose it: Nothing against a good sleek butt plug, but sometimes, you need extra ripples and folds to scratch your unique itches. We recommend the B-Vibe Swirl Plug, whose curves of varying sizes provide a totally new anal experience. Indulge in one of its six vibration patterns and feel the way it stimulates you differently with every twist and tug.
15. Best for gifting your beau
Why we chose it: When gifting a butt plug to a friend or significant other who is interested in anal play, we think it’s best to go the simple and approachable route. Enter: the Blush Avant Free Spirit. This pleasure product offers eye candy, plus a sleek body for easy insertion and 10 vibrating settings for that special someone on your list to entertain. It’s even waterproof, opening the door to exciting backdrops for play.
Best butt plugs for men
Butt plugs can be enjoyed by anyone, but some are intended for men, or for people with prostates. These types of butt toys are known as prostate massagers, and they are specifically shaped to stimulate the prostate — a small walnut-sized muscular gland, located about two inches up the anterior wall of the anal canal. If you have a prostate there are plenty of amazing prostate massagers to choose from. Here are a few bonus suggestions if you’re looking for a butt plug prostate massager. If you aren’t sure how to use these toys, check out our guide on how to use a prostate massager.
16. Best app-controlled butt plug
Why we chose it: When it comes to a powerful product with all-encompassing features, the Svakom Vick Neo has all the innovative components you didn’t know you were missing. With LED-equipped controls, this little number is easy to use in the dark as you explore two-way-play between its internal arm and perineal massager. The Vick Neo is one of the smartest toys on this list to boot — its forward-thinking Bluetooth app means you can harness its full potential wherever you go.
17. Best for targeted prostate stimulation
Why we chose it: The sharp angles on the head of the popular Aneros Syn Trident make it easy for this toy to find and stroke any prostate. As an added bonus, Aneros toys feature a unique handle design so the toy can caress your perineum while the head rocks against all of your hotspots.
18. Best for hands free prostate orgasm
Why we chose it: Control this prostate massager with its remote and go for a hands free prostate orgasm. Simply use the remote to explore the Lelo Hugo’s varying vibration modes, and get yourself over the edge without using your hands. Of course, you may choose to stroke your penis simultaneously, but that is up to you!
How to choose a butt plug
When picking the best butt plug for your needs, you want to consider all the factors. What are your pleasure goals, and what anal toy can best help you meet them? You the following points to guide your shopping:
- Size. If you’re a beginner, opt for a slim butt plug that’s around the width of two fingers. Remember that your plug won’t provide you with the pleasure you’re seeking if it’s stretching too much or causing pain, so take your time to work up to a larger toy If you’re an experience butt plug user, you know your body best, and it may give you a new and fantastic sensation to graduate to something that makes you feel more full.
- Shape. In addition to the size of the toy, you’ll want to evaluate all of the distinct shapes butt plugs can come in. You may have noticed that while many are “teardrop shaped,” others are long and tapered. The classic teardrop offers a no-frills experience, but sometimes features a broader base for a “fuller” sensation. Meanwhile, the thin and tapered shape offers a thrill as each knob provides a new jolt of pleasure.
- Weight. The more weight included in a butt plug, the more the wearer experiences “fullness.” As the weights shift with movement, they create constant sensations for the sensitive nerve-endings in and around the anus. If you’re looking for a more responsive, reactive anal experience, look specifically at the weight of the toy.
- Material. You’ll find butt plugs in a variety of materials, with the most popular being silicone, glass, or metal. These are safe materials for the easiest use, since they’re smooth to insert and non-porous, meaning they’ll be easy to clean.
- How you intend to use it. If you’re planning to use your butt plug for masturbation, you’ll have different pleasure goals than someone looking to experience anal play with a partner. For example, if you’re looking for something more couples-friendly, plenty of vibrating butt plugs come with a remote control for fun and discreet partnered play.
- Price point. Butt plugs vary in price from $12 to almost $200 dollars. This is a wide range that is largely determined by whether the toy vibrates, how many settings it comes with, and whether there’s high tech involved, such as a remote control. If you’re on a tight budget, plenty of wallet-friendly toys offer the benefits and stimulation you’re looking for. If you’d prefer to invest, you’ll have more options as to the features you want your anal toy to include.
Should you try a butt plug?
Anyone can try a butt plug. Regardless of your gender, using a butt plug can make sex more pleasurable and orgasms more intense. While anal toys put pressure on a vaginal wall and increase pulsations for women during sex, men or people with prostates can enjoy penetration from butt plugs since their prostates feel especially good when stimulated.
There are so many nerve-endings in and around the anus, which is why anyone, of any gender may enjoy a butt plug. Experiment with your fingers first or with a partner to see how you feel about the sensation of your ass being played with. If you enjoy it, start small and then work your way up.
6 products to pair with your butt plug
Elevate all the ways you enjoy your new butt plug by pairing it with one or more of the following products.
- Pjur Original Bodyglide lube. Add a good silicone lube, like the Pjur Original Bodyglide. When engaging in anal play, silicone lube is your best bet as it is thicker and longer lasting. That said, do not use silicone lube with silicone toys as it will degrade the material of your butt plug. If your butt plug is made of silicone, try a water-based lube instead, like the Jo H20 Gel.
- Lelo Antibacterial Toy Cleaning Spray. While soap and water will do the trick with most sex toys, you can take extra care to disinfect with a specialized antibacterial toy cleaner that’s specifically made for pleasure products. We recommend Lelo Antibacterial Toy Cleaning Spray
- Satisfyer Pro 2 Next Gen. If you have a clitoris and are using a butt plug, add some dual stimulation with the Satisfyer Pro 2 Next Gen. Use this air suction vibrator for clitoral stimulation while you enjoy the fullness of a butt plug in your ass.
- Satisfyer Men Stroker. If you have a penis, try the Satisfyer Men Stroker at the same time the butt plug is inside you. This type of dual stimulation can lead to powerful orgasms or more intense pleasure.
- Fetish Fantasy Super Sucker Trio. If you enjoy your nipples sucking or nipple play, add the Fetish Fantasy Super Sucker Trio to your repertoire. You can leave these nipple toys attached with your butt plug in your anus. Both products allow for hands-free play, so you can use your hands to stroke your penis or stimulate your clit.
- Sportsheets Silky Sash Restraints. If you’re handing your partner control of a new vibrating butt plug, you can tap into the D/s elements of the experience by purchasing a blindfold or a pair of handcuffs, like the Sportsheets Silky Sash Restraints.
The bottom line
Experimenting with different types of butt plugs to find what works for you can lead to new discoveries about your body and what brings you pleasure. If you’re not seeing a butt plug on this list that strikes your fancy, browse our catalog of butt toys to find even more options.