Love is a complex thing no matter which way you slice it. It’s something we all need, crave, and feel in some way or another, and yet, it means different things to different people. And therefore, the feeling of love can be hard to put into words — but these inspiring writers, thinkers, theorists, and love enthusiasts have done just that.
The below quotes about love and relationships broaden the mind and make us think about the subjects of romance and self-love wholly. Explore the layers love has to offer and keep these quotes in your arsenal for when you need help defining what you’re feeling, or helping others untangle the thoughts and emotions they may have regarding their romantic relationships.
25 inspirational relationship quotes to keep in your back pocket.
1. “Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.”
— Lao Tzu
2. “Love does not begin and end the way we seem to think it does. Love is a battle, love is a war; love is a growing up.”
3. “The minute I heard my first love story,
I started looking for you, not knowing
how blind that was.
Lovers don't finally meet somewhere.
They're in each other all along."
4. “Never love anyone who treats you like you're ordinary.”
— Oscar Wilde
5. “The one thing we can never get enough of is love. And the one thing we never give enough of is love."
— Henry Miller
6. “Nothing that’s worthwhile is ever easy. Remember that.”
7. “If you judge people, you have no time to love them."
8. "It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages."
9. “The one you love and the one who loves you are never, ever the same person.”
10. "One is loved because one is loved. No reason is needed for loving."
— Paulo Coelho
11. “You can love someone so much...But you can never love people as much as you can miss them.”
— John Green
12. “I love you more than there are stars in the sky and fish in the sea.”
13. “You don't love someone because they're perfect, you love them in spite of the fact that they're not.”
— Jodi Picoult
14. “You don't love someone for their looks, or their clothes, or for their fancy car, but because they sing a song only you can hear.”
— Oscar Wilde
15. “Let our scars fall in love."
16. "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness."
17. "I don't trust people who don't love themselves and tell me, 'I love you.' ... There is an African saying which is: Be careful when a naked person offers you a shirt."
— Maya Angelou
18. "Happiness [is] only real when shared."
— Jon Krakauer
19. "If you love somebody, let them go, for if they return, they were always yours. If they don't, they never were."
20. “You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection"
21. "Never close your lips to those whom you have already opened your heart."
22. “Of all forms of caution, caution in love is perhaps the most fatal to true happiness.”
23. "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained."
— C.S. Lewis
24. “To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance.”
— Oscar Wilde
25. “We accept the love we think we deserve."
Though love is complex and hard to define, it’s simple to feel if you allow yourself to be vulnerable with others as well as with your own self. Let these quotes inspire you to think of love and relationships in a new way, and approach both ideas with a better understanding of how love and romance work within different people.