Squirting, also known as female ejaculation, is real and normal. While it’s easier for some to squirt than others, most people with the right reproductive equipment can do with some practice and techniques. Read this article to find out what squirting is and how to do it yourself or how to help your partner squirt.
Squirting is when a person with a vulva releases fluid through the urethra. It’s sometimes known as female ejaculation and happens when the G-spot is being stimulated. That said, squirting does not necessarily indicate a climax as a person can squirt before, during, or after orgasm. It’s unclear what the fluid is made of, but scientists have determined it has a different chemical makeup than pee. (Though urine may be a part of it, too.)
When a female squirts, fluid is released through the urethra usually because her G-spot is being stimulated, though squirting doesn’t necessarily indicate an orgasm. While the fluid may be partly pee, it has a different chemical makeup than urine. The fluid is believed to be emitted from the Skene’s glands, though scientists aren’t entirely sure what the fluid contains as more research is needed.
Though there is not much research on squirting, and there has even been some debate on whether or not squirting is real, rest-assured squirting is real. Doctors once thought squirting was due to continence issues, but a 2014 study has since disproven that. The study showed that participants had an empty bladder, but the bladder would fill with fluid and ejaculate through the urethra once participants were aroused.
Though squirting was once thought of as a continence issue, the fluid in squirting is not pee. While squirting may contain some urine as the fluid ejaculates through the urethra, it also contains components found in semen, such as prostatic acid phosphatase (PSA) and fructose. These components may come from the Skene’s glands that is found near the G-spot.
There are two kinds of fluids that can be emitted during female sexual arousal: squirting fluid and ejaculate fluid. Squirting fluid happens in gushes and usually doesn’t have a smell or color. Ejaculate fluid looks more like male semen, and is thick and milky looking.
Yes, squirting is normal. Despite the fact that female ejaculation is totally normal, there is little research on squirting and not many people are comfortable speaking openly about it. Yet, the International Society of Sexual Medicine reports that between 10 and 50 percent of people with female sex organs squirt.
According to the International Society of Sexual Medicine, between 10 and 50 percent of people with female sex organs squirt. Not much research has been done on squirting so it’s hard to give a more exact percentage of women who squirt. That said, all vagina-owners have the ability to squirt, though it may be easier for some.
Anyone with a vulva can squirt — though it may come easier for some than others. There are a few techniques to try. Here’s how to squirt.
- Stimulate the G-spot, either with fingers or a curved G-spot toy.
- Instead of clenching your pelvic floor muscles, try releasing and relaxing at the right moment.
- When you feel the sensation to pee, try letting go and continuing with the stimulating motion.
- Practice, practice, practice.
If you’re wondering how to make your girlfriend squirt, or how to make someone squirt in general, it’s important to first note that patience and practice is key. Some people are able to squirt more easily than others, but there are a few techniques to try with a partner.
- Make your partner comfortable. So much of how we feel in sexual situations is dependent on how we’re feeling psychologically. Be patient and have no expectations of your partner.
- Stimulate the G-spot with fingers. Insert fingers inside the vagina, then curve up toward the belly button. Continue stimulating for as long as your partner is comfortable. If they feel like they need to pee, that’s a good sign they might be close to squirting.
- Use a G-spot toy. Toys meant for G-spot stimulation are curved to better reach the G-spot. With the right stimulation and massage, squirting will be more likely.
Squirting can be an awesome sensation that can enhance your sexual experiences if it’s what you’re into. If you’ve never squirted before, but want to try, there are lots of ways to practice and techniques to help. You can also learn how to make your partner squirt, if that’s what they’re into!